Monday, March 5, 2018

Technology and Safety In Our Schools


Two words:
School shooting.
This topic has been spreading like wildfire this year especially with the recent school shooting in Florida that happened on February 14, 2018. 

Seven words in my head:
How is technology keeping our schools safe? 


After reading my boss' blog post, his opening statement is perfect: 
"School shootings are nothing new; as a matter of fact, one can argue that they date back to the 1700’s.  It is still shocking when it happens, and they are always so devastating to the communities and those affected that it will never just become part of life." (Benson, 2018)

Another friend of mine who is a superintendent also had a great statement on the topic:
"After 9/11 we acted.  The towers went down, and the Patriot Act was passed into law.  That wasn’t perfect legislation; I acknowledge that.  But we did something.  We have long lines at airports, and the process is a hassle.  That’s fair…  I, for one, am ok with that.  There is a direct correlation between safety and liberty." (Larson, 2018)

Both had excellent points, and I couldn't agree more. No matter where you are and how it happens, death is devastating. 

I have recently had the opportunity to travel quite a bit the past seven months since I got married. My husband, Seth and I went to Mexico for our honeymoon. As Mr. Larson said in the second quote, there are long lines at the airport and the process is a hassle. You wait, take off your shoes, put all of your stuff in a container and go through a scanner and another full 360 body scan. Quite the process, but I too am okay with it because it gives me a sense of assurance that I am safe. Doesn't mean I feel safe being in an airport on an airplane where shooting could happen too. Technology has upped its game in airports. Even though they do a great job, there can still be flaws. I recently got back from Las Vegas for a mini getaway, and after going through those scanners, they still had to check me. Those of you who know me, I usually wear my head in a bun, on the top of my head, that was a red flag to them, and they had to check my hair and go through my scalp. I had, of course, no issue, but it was intimidating. My thoughts were: "I would never think of smuggling something into my hair." "People are looking at me because I'm not White." (Yes that does go through my head at times, even though I am more than comfortable in my skin and been part of this country for the past 25 years.) The TSA did their job, and I am grateful for it. 


So what can schools do to implement technology for security measures?

1)  Entry control-- Most schools have their doors locked at all times during the day and the front door especially, is equipped with a camera and buzzer system. Visitors must go to the main doors and hit the buzzer where those in the office can see them and decide to let them in or not. Is this enough though? I have worked in a school system since I graduated high school. Anyone can come up to the buzzer, and if they're recognizable, they are let in. Do we know if they have a weapon on them? No. A former student could come in and say they were there to see the principal; how do we know if that student isn't royally upset and wants to shoot someone? A majority of schools have it where their visitors just sign in on a piece of paper. I feel there should be more to this. Why are they there? The person they want to see, do they know about it and expect it too? We certainly can't blame those in the office for allowing someone into the school when they're a familiar face, and something terrible happens. 
So how can we improve this? 
Visitor Managment System. This system also scans the persons' ID, and it goes through a database to prove that the person is real and they aren't an offender/felon. 


2) Security cameras--Most schools have security cameras throughout their building in various places. This is a specific countermeasure that should always be implemented. I love how cameras are live feed, and use HD (picture quality is so clear) and the system can not only be accessed by computer, but by having the app on your phone for administrators as well. Cameras are used for the safety of our children and not to invade privacy. Besides capturing a violent situation, we can see bullying, fights, and theft.  Of course, cameras can only be in some available places where allowed that will not invade the privacy of a person. That can be tricky if something were to happen in a locker room, you can only go by someone's word. There is a new system with cameras that can capture instantly if a weapon is seen on the footage, the authorities are notified. This could help tremendously in the school system. 


3) Drills---Practice, practice, practice. Whether it be a fire drill, tornado drill or lockdown drill. DO IT. Practice often. You will be thankful you did. It's so important to inform your staff and students what to do in any situation that could be life-threatening. They need to know what to do, calmly, if something should arise. 


It sucks to say that we can't feel safe in most places anymore. Airports, schools, malls? Sometimes I psych myself out thinking something could happen when I'm in one of these places because it can happen. It's terrifying. 

What else can we implement? Visitor management systems, panic buttons, metal detectors, mass messaging systems. Bulletproof windows/doors? Panic rooms? Yes to all. But guess what the drawback is? Money. 

As a school, we are funded by the state; we only get what we can. Money goes to books, equipment, computers, uniforms, etc. Why aren't schools good enough to get a stipend for safety/security? Can schools get these kinds of options? Absolutely, but only if the budget allows. Don't think for a second we don't work for it and try to implement everything we can to help our children with their education and yes, safety when they're in our hands. It's a tough situation that we can't control.


Why do people of a higher level like in politics, get an armed person with them at all times for their safety but we can't have a resource officer at every school? Why is the option to put guns in teachers' hands when we could have retired veterans at our school protecting us? 

Technology is a helpful solution to safety in schools, but we need the help. Not THE solution, but it can get us there. 



"Safety is Always the Top Priority"--Anna Folmnsbee



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology and Safety In Our Schools

Two words: School shooting. This topic has been spreading like wildfire this year especially with the recent school shooting in Florida...